Automotive Service is designed to teach entry-level skills to students. Students will learn to use problem-solving techniques while working on today’s computerized electrical systems and a variety of auto-related skills such as brakes, steering and suspension, electrical/electronics systems, and engine performance. They will also gain skills in automatic and manual transmissions, engine repair, and heating and air conditioning. Students can have the opportunity to participate in on-the-job training at a local business. Part-time students can complete the program in two years, and full-time students can complete it in one year. Automotive Service is a NATEF certified program.
Who Can Attend?
High School Students / Adults
High School Students:
Attend 1 of 2 sessions
8-10:50am or 12-2:50pm
2 years (1 session)
1 year (both sessions)
8:10:50am or 12-2:50pm
• Automotive Service Technician
• Automotive Maintenance/Light Repair Technician
High School Students: Applications can be obtained in the counseling offices of your local high school and returned to your high school counselor.
Adult Students: Applications can be obtained at the Student Services Office located on the SWTC campus at 711 W. Tamarack Rd. in Altus.
• Adult students are required to take a KeyTrain assessment at the cost of $10. Assessments are proctored every Tuesday and Thursday at 8:30am in the testing center at the SWTC Campus or by appointment. To make an appointment for assessments please call the SWTC Testing Liaison at (580) 477-2250.
• There are two recommendation forms that will need to be filled out by a professional reference as well as a personal friend.
SWTC builds partnerships with business and industry in the southwest Oklahoma area to find opportunities for work-based experiences and student placement. Successful graduates can find employment in automotive dealerships, independent shops, automotive parts stores and other related companies.
711 West Tamarack Rd.
Altus, OK 73521
ASE Student Certifications in:
• Automatic Transmission/Transaxle
• Electrical/Electronic Systems
• Engine Performance
• Engine Repair
• Heating and Air Conditioning
• Manual Drive Train and Axles
• Suspension and Steering
Southwest Technology Center offers and has access to a variety of financial aid options for those who qualify and plan on attending a full-time training program. Although SWTC does not offer any type of students loans, our staff will help you through the process.
Contact Monica Cox, Financial Aid Coordinator at (580) 480-4734 for more information.
The current in-district rate ($2.50 per class hour) will be charged to those students residing in a technology center school district. All other students will be charged the out-of-district tuition rate ($5 per class hour). In addition, lab fees, supplies and textbooks may be required.