• Utilize basic welding techniques in SMAW, GMAW, FCAW and GTAW to manipulate metals for construction, industrial, and artistic applications.
• Interpret blueprints, specifications, and welding symbols.
• Operate basic welding and fabrication equipment used by professionals.
Who Can Attend?
High School Students / Adults
High School Students:
Attend 1 of 2 sessions
8-11am or 12-3pm
2 years (1 session)
1 year (both sessions)
8-11am or 12-3pm
The current in-district rate ($2.50 per class hour) will be charged to those students residing in a technology center school district. All other students will be charged the out-of-district tuition rate ($5 per class hour). In addition, lab fees, supplies and textbooks may be required.
High School Students: Applications can be obtained in the counseling offices of your local high school and returned to your high school counselor.
Adult Students: Applications can be obtained at the Student Services Office located on the SWTC campus at 711 W. Tamarack Rd. in Altus.
• There are two recommendation forms that will need to be filled out by a professional reference as well as a personal friend.
• Adult students are required to take entrance assessments. Assessments are proctored in the testing center at the SWTC Campus by appointment. To make an appointment for assessments please call the SWTC Testing Liaison at (580) 477-2250.
Southwest Technology Center offers and has access to a variety of financial aid options for those who qualify and plan on attending a full-time training program. Although SWTC does not offer any type of students loans, our staff will help you through the process.
Contact Monica Cox, Financial Aid Coordinator at (580) 480-4734 for more information.
711 West Tamarack Rd.
Altus, OK 73521
American Welding Society (AWS): Welder Certification at various levels
Welding Technician I & II
Shield Arc Welding
• Intro to Metal Fabrication (480 hours)
• Metal Fabricator (1050 hours)
SWTC builds partnerships with business and industry in the southwest Oklahoma area to find opportunities for work-based experiences and student placement. Successful graduates can find employment on agricultural and oil field related industries.