• Utilize basic welding techniques in SMAW, GMAW, FCAW and GTAW to manipulate metals for construction, industrial, and artistic applications.
• Interpret blueprints, specifications, and welding symbols.
• Operate basic welding and fabrication equipment used by professionals.
Who Can Attend?
High School Students / Adults
High School Students:
Attend 1 of 2 sessions
8-11am or 12-3pm
2 years (1 session)
1 year (both sessions)
8-11am or 12-3pm
The current in-district rate ($2.50 per class hour) will be charged to those students residing in a technology center school district. All other students will be charged the out-of-district tuition rate ($5 per class hour). In addition, lab fees, supplies and textbooks may be required.
High School Students: Applications can be obtained in the counseling offices of your local high school and returned to your high school counselor.
Adult Students: Applications can be obtained at the Student Services Office located on the SWTC campus at 711 W. Tamarack Rd. in Altus.
• Adult students are required to take a KeyTrain assessment at the cost of $10. Assessments are proctored every Tuesday and Thursday at 8:30am in the testing center at the SWTC Campus or by appointment. To make an appointment for assessments please call the SWTC Testing Liaison at (580) 477-2250.
• There are two recommendation forms that will need to be filled out by a professional reference as well as a personal friend.
Southwest Technology Center offers and has access to a variety of financial aid options for those who qualify and plan on attending a full-time training program. Although SWTC does not offer any type of students loans, our staff will help you through the process.
Contact Monica Cox, Financial Aid Coordinator at (580) 480-4734 for more information.
711 West Tamarack Rd.
Altus, OK 73521
American Welding Society (AWS)
• Intro to Metal Fabrication (525 hours)
• Metal Fabricator (1095 hours)
High School Students: Recommendation from your high school counselor.
Adult Students: Adult students are required to take a KeyTrain assessment at the cost of $10 and an interest assessment. Assessments are proctored every Tuesday and Thursday at 8:30am in the testing center at the SWTC Campus or by appointment. To make an appointment for assessments please call the SWTC Testing Liaison at (580) 477-2250.
SWTC builds partnerships with business and industry in the southwest Oklahoma area to find opportunities for work-based experiences and student placement. Successful graduates can find employment on agricultural and oil field related industries.